Better security for your data
Password guidance is rather obvious - the longer and more complex a password is, the stronger it is. But remembering lots of complex passwords can be difficult. A password manager can help you to streamline your online security so you only need to remember one master password.
Some things to consider when setting up and managing your passwords:
- Make your password as long as you can, with at least eight characters or more
- Use a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters
- Use unique passwords for different sites, especially sites which have access to your banking information (such as shopping and banking sites)
- Set up a recovery method
- Use public information such as birthdays, pet names and kids' names
- Use full words
- Use the same password for multiple sites
- Write your password down
- Share your password
- Log into private accounts on public computers
Your personal details and banking info
Selfridges.com uses "SSL" for website security. Leaving aside the technical stuff, when you see the green lock and colouring of the logo in the URL bar and the letters "https", this means any information you submit is protected. You shouldn't ever enter personal information into a web page without this protection, so always look out for it.
Your payment details are protected when captured and stored within a highly secure environment that is separated from any other selfridges.com systems.
Your home computer
Always use well-known antivirus and anti-malware protection, as well as a personal firewall on your home computer and mobile device.
Update the default passwords on your home broadband router for extra protection.
Regularly install operating system updates as well as updates to any software you have installed.
Use a modern and updated Internet browser.
Be aware of phishing scams that ask you to click certain links or divulge personal details. With so much information on the internet it's easy to craft targeted e-mails that look legitimate and convincing but always be suspicious of unsolicited emails. Selfridges.com will never ask you to click links or provide us with your account password.